The Subjects of School ~ 11th Grade


I did an article like this one last year. For 11th Grade, I did my actual high school subjects as well as two dual-enrollment courses from the Master's University. I'm not going to say too much about each subject because I did a lot of explaining last year.


Life Management

This year, I had two Bible courses that each took up half of my school year. I did Life Management first. This course covers life management in the areas of safety, relationships, health and nutrition, occupations, and controversial topics such as abortion, evolution, and gambling.
 

New Testament: Jesus and His Followers

I did this course in the second half of my school year. This course is about the Life of Jesus and covers the four gospels. And as in each Bible course, I also had to memorize quite a few verses.

Plane Geometry

This course was just, "Ugh." I thought Algebra was hard, but once I took this
course, I realized how easy Algebra was. There were a lot of terms and proofs that filled my whole notebook and stuffed my brain. When I got to proofs, I was officially lost. My only relief were the two lessons on trigonometry at the end of the year. And then I find out that half of the girls in my grade at church love Plane Geometry. I just wonder how they manage.

English 11

This year I had grammar, spelling, vocabulary, and poetry as usual. Grammar class was interesting since I had to submit a poem and my resume. I also had American Literature and "The Scarlet Letter" by Nathaniel Hawthorne to read. I read a mix of fiction, nonfiction, and poetry.

 
For my research paper, I had to either do a persuasive paper about a controversial issue or a person who was born after 1900. I was going to do a political issue, but I couldn't find enough sources, so I decided to do my report over Ronald Reagan. That is probably why some of the books I reviewed were about Ronald Reagan.


Spanish 2

I took Spanish 1 last year and the course was structured the same as Spanish 2. This year I learned a couple new verb tenses and a lot of vocabulary words. I'm glad I took two years because it really helped me speak to the church members when I went to Tepic.


United States History: Heritage of Freedom

I had another course of U.S. History this year (we have World History and U.S. History courses throughout elementary and Jr. High). This time the book focused a lot more on dates and court cases, all of which are my weak spots in studying history.

This year, I had the opportunity to write editorials and give my opinion on them. I wrote all of them over current politics. It was really fun and helped me think about my opinions.


 Chemistry

I enjoyed this course, but I wasn't very good with this course. I find chemistry and physics interesting until I have to memorize formulas and do math. Significant figures was really my downfall. I had to put in a lot of extra studying for this course. But the course itself was great; I felt very geeky studying all the information. :)

I also did a science project testing the lifespan of goldfish in fishbowls vs tanks. I also tested the lifespan based on how many other fish were in the habitat and the temperature of the habitat. It was easy because goldfish are very cheap and die quickly.

 
U.S. History

This is one of my dual-enrollment college courses. Each of the college courses are eight-weeks long. I liked being part of this online class because I could email the teacher or talk to other students during the forum time. We had a lot of reading, a few lectures, and two essays over two books. My favorite part of the class was the discussion time because I could write a good-sized piece over some political and historical topics.

My teacher was also really lenient because he was visiting his newborn granddaughter (I met one of his students that actually went to the university), so he felt bad that he was grading all our assignments very late. My youth pastor's wife actually had him as her history teacher too.

By the way, the two books to the right are the books I did reports over in this class. One was written by my teacher for World History I which is below.

World History I

This class was a little harder because there were at least three hours of lectures per week although there was only one essay (over a section that my teacher for U.S. History wrote in Think Biblically). The teacher was less lenient for sure, but I did alright.

***
 
George Washington Carver said, "Education is the key to unlock the golden door of freedom." After all, if you don't know what your freedoms are you can't defend them. That is why it is important to educate yourself on what you believe especially about the Bible.
 
I am currently, doing a Bible study on 1 and 2 Peter with the girls in my grade at church. 1 Peter 3:15 says, "But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear." Peter tells the believers to educate themselves on why they believe the Bible so they can defend it.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

About Me: An Imprint

The Middle East ~ Part 2

2017 Summer Highlights